Along with three macro prime lenses, Tamron today also announced the development of 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VXD Lens. The price for this lens is not available yet, release date for this lens is in Spring of 2020.
Tamron Announces the Development of Compact and Lightweight High-Speed Telephoto Zoom Lens for Sony E-Mount Full-Frame Mirrorless Cameras
Much-anticipated third model in its series of F/2.8 high-speed zoom lenses delivers superb optical performance with extremely quiet, fast focus
70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD (Model A056)
October 23, 2019, Commack, NY – Tamron announces the development of a new high-speed telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras, the 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD (Model A056). Availability of this new zoom is planned for Spring 2020. The lens will be on display at the upcoming Photo Plus Expo in New York City this week and Salon de la Photo in Paris next month.
Developed under the concept of “making high-speed zoom lenses user-friendly,” Model A056 features a compact and lightweight design, an ideal match for full-frame mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. The 67mm filter diameter is the same as all other Tamron lenses in this series. The optical design includes several specialized glass elements that contribute to the lens’s superb imaging performance and its very short 33.5 in MOD (Minimum Object Distance) expands overall versatility. The lens adopts Tamron’s newly developed VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) linear motor focus mechanism that produces a quiet, quick autofocus drive.
Other features that support a great shooting experience include a Moisture-Resistant Construction helpful for outdoor shooting and Fluorine Coating for easy maintenance. In addition, Model A056 is fully compatible with various camera-specific features including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF. This new model joins the 17-28mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A046) and the 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036) and brings Tamron’s total of F/2.8 zoom lenses for full-frame mirrorless cameras to three.
- Comfortably compact (149mm / 5.9 in) and light weight (815g / 28.7 oz).
- 67mm filter diameter, same as all other Tamron lenses for full-frame mirrorless cameras.
- Superb optical performance and MOD of 5 in. for a broader range of photographic versatility.
- Extremely quiet and fast newly developed VXD linear motor focus mechanism.
- Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating contribute to a comfortable, user friendly photographic experience.
- Compatible with various camera-specific features including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF.
* Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.
Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD specifications
|Lens type||Zoom lens|
|Max Format size||35mm FF|
|Focal length||70–180 mm|
|Lens mount||Sony FE|
|Special elements / coatings||Fluorine coating|
|Minimum focus||0.85 m (33.46″)|
|Motor type||Linear Motor|
|Full time manual||No|
|Weight||815 g (1.80 lb)|
|Length||149 mm (5.87″)|
|Zoom method||Rotary (extending)|
|Filter thread||67 mm|